Monday, November 20, 2006

the naked truth-sort of


I took a look at Rian's blog- Rian's Pages - this morning and she commented on the size of handbags and asked us to be brave and show the contents. Here you go. The only thing not showing is the 3000 reciepts I had stuffed in the bottom which I have now put through the shredder-thanks Rian!
Years ago I worked in the cosmetic business first as a make-up artist and then as a buyer for imported fragrance lines. It required me to be made-up and well dressed every day. I miss this to a certain degree. I'm no longer the size 8 who lived that way and I love me my comfy clothes too much to change now but I still have the handbag and shoe attitude. Sloppy bags and shoes are telling to me. That is not to say that I don't have some sloppy shoes and the occasional old bag(besides me).It's just that it's one of the things I look at. Shoe shopping is therapy to me.
My niece recently had to take a trip into Manhattan while she was visiting us so she could go down to Canal St. and look for a Vuitton knock-off. She got a good one-but then she went up to Madison and 5th and bought a Coach bag for $200.00. She had saved all her money for months just for this one small(7x9) Coach bag. It wasn't even a traditional Coach leather bag that's made to last a lifetime. It was one of those fabric things they retail to young people today. And it was white. Last week she went to look at colleges and left it somewhere in Wyoming. Still got the $25.00 knock-off. Hard lesson learned for our sweet Michelle.
Anyway-thanks Rian-for making me clean out my bag. It's not a big one-only about 9 in. and sort of square.A Liz Claibourne on sale from Macy's last year. Not really big enough to hit someone with in defense like the old lady on Laugh In years ago. I agree with Rian about the gigundo bags-If you're in a store around here on a busy day you constantly find yourself being bumped-not by people-but by these bags that are big enough to hold clothes for a weekend in the country. However-I do have lots of keys. Along with mine-there are keys to a number of churches in the community. Running the Food Pantry means I have to pick up food from several deposit points. It was easier for them to give me keys than to come down early in the a.m. and open doors. Maybe when I finish that pick up stuff, I'll take myself for some shoe shopping therapy-perhaps a new bag too. Really thanks Rian-I don't need much to get me motivated for that. Hope everyone has a great day!

4 comments:

Rian said...

Thanks, Dee! This is kind of fun. I feel like a voyeur. Being in crowded Manhattan a big purse could be an asset and a liability!

Debra Dixon said...

Your purse could double for mine!

Deb R said...

That's impressively neat! :-)

Suze said...

Mine, on the other hand, COULD knock the sox off someone, should I decide to use it as a club...let's hope I never have to use that self defense technique!
I should say thanks to Rian too for making me clean some of the paper stuff out!