Thursday, August 14, 2008

Holly Jolly quilt & Good Reads


I got all my packets of Holly Jolly fabric out and decided I needed a little bit of a challenge. So many of the things I've made lately have been simple squares and quick fixes that I wanted to make a block with these fun fabrics that was a little more complicated. It's a modified flying geese and I'm having fun. It takes a bit of paying attention. The picture is clickable. Complicated is a good thing since it keeps me away from snacking and food in general. I'm trying to set a better example for the family. That's really hard. Anyway, I know this little quilt will be very bright and cheery for the holidays. Which holidays are yet to be seen since if you're familiar with my work habits that could translate to some Christmas in the distant future. I'm trying to keep it real and hope to see it up on the wall this year.


If you're a murder mystery fan like me, here are to of my favorite standbys. Janet's books are like eating popcorn. Nothing fancy about them and they make you laugh in the bargain. She's found an interesting formula, in the style of Sue Grafton's ABC Murder series. These are much less complicated and the sort of thing you want to read when your brain hurts. Faye Kellerman is a big favorite of mine and I've loved nearly everything she has written. I'm not crazy about the series that started a couple of years ago which highlights the daughter of the detective in her other books. Can't say why, but I just didn't love it and I love Faye's books otherwise ever since she wrote "Ritual Bath", one of the best books describing that Jewish tradition as part of the mystery. I spent some time as a child living with a Jewish family who kept Kosher and followed the wonderful, rich, tradition that is followed in that faith. Faye Kellerman knows her stuff and has, in my opinion, added a very rich layer to an already great murder mystery. This is a good one. In fact, in recent years, I think Faye has outdone her husband Jonathan Kellerman, another of my favorite writers. The last few books of his were good but a little ho hum. These are, as I said, fun books. A bit of light summer reading.
I must get back to the flying geese and the Holly Jolly....and, of course, the omnipresent laundry drudgery.
Hope you have a laundry-free day and a good read!

6 comments:

Gerrie said...

I did the laundry yesterday. I am so in awe of those beautiful flying geese. It is really hot here. I should curl up next to the air conditioning and read a good book.

Cindra said...

Oh, I do love those squares. The top one has to be my favorite.

Kay said...

I like Janet Evanovich's books too, although I'm beginning to think they may have gone on too long. Still, they're good for a laugh. The others are new to me. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Just got an email from the library today that my request for Janet Evanovich's latest has been filled. Popcorn is a good word for them, but she's so good for a belly laugh. I'm still laughing at everyone's favorite word for the cable company in the last one!

Mary Johnson said...

I've read a couple of Faye's books but I REALLY love the books by her husband - Jonathan Kellerman...I read everything he writes.

Kim Carney said...

will pass that on to mom! She might need a good mystery.