Monday, December 26, 2011

All the news that's fit



Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas, or depending on what you celebrate, a lovely day. I'm almost afraid to mention that the weather is still kind of wonderful for December. It will turn around soon, I'm sure, so until then...woohoo!


I managed to get through the day, despite some feelings of sadness, because I started my day with a visit from Lucy. The Happy Couple had brunch with Dani's family and left Lucy here to enjoy the full-on spoiling of the pup. I was pretty proud of myself for the job I did on Christmas dinner. Roger was the chef who handled the big jobs in the kitchen like Leg of Lamb and Prime Rib. I had never before cooked a Prime Rib. Now I have. With such an expensive piece of meat I panicked a little thinking about turning it in to pot roast instead of the juicy roast it should be. Yay Me! It could have been a little more rare but the last 15 minutes made for a bit more done than I would have liked. Still, it was soooooo goooood. Nine pounds of gooood! I missed the fun that we used to have of cooking together but all in all it was a lovely day. We finished the left overs yesterday.


Dani & James surprised me with a Kindle Fire. It was a really big surprise and I played with it all day yesterday. So many apps! I downloaded several games and played so much yesterday that I ran down the battery by 10 last night. I guess the games take a lot of power. Anyway, I love it. My best pal Terry got one too. To illustrate the difference between her and I-I have books and games-she will download practical things like notepads and financial stuff. She really is the adult in this relationship.


Further good news, we got the preliminary plans for the new addition on the house as well as an estimate of the cost. Big Gulp but not that surprising. Now we will have to decide what gets done and what waits for another day. The new house and the refurbishing of the old section will be our priority right now. Some of the other stuff goes into the maybe next year file. The 3-car garage is the biggest thing that will have to wait. It adds nearly a hundred thousand dollars to the total. That's a hundred thousand too much right now. It's this type of thing that makes me miss Roger the most. He would have handled this whole thing with no mental trauma. Me...not so much. I will just have to wrap my little brain around the thing and take big breaths.


I'm going to clean up the house today and make a trip over to the cemetary. Roger's headstone was placed on his grave a few days ago. It took a lot of time since I had a beautiful locomotive etched on to the stone for my train collector. Now that it's up I'll go and put some greenery there.

I'm learning to live with my feelings not overwhelming me all the time. Life is not so bad, it's just different and I guess I have to live with that. Or maybe a better way to put it is to live with it at peace. I've been very angry and sad for so long. Like a great heavy thing to carry around daily. The weight seems less now and I work at not being angry & sad daily.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year. Hope to be back soon.

8 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

Hi Dee! Sounds as though you have turned a corner and that is good to read. I think 2012 is going to be a great year so I am wishing you all good things in the new year!

Rian said...

Congratulations on cooking your first prime rib! Good to hear you are doing so well. I don't know how I'd handle planning and financing something like a remodel (let alone life) without Jim--he's the left-brained one, I'm strictly artsy-fartsy, la la la. I'm proud of you. All the best in 2012!

Janet said...

Your prime rib looks wonderful (although you know I wouldn't eat it!)....you can do anything you set your mind to so I have no doubt your remodel will turn out wonderful as well.
Glad to hear you're doing better. Each day brings a bit more peace.

Barbara C said...

Happy Holidays Dee, it's good to see you in such fine spirits.

Joanne S said...

That is one gorgeous prime rib.

We always forget the "resting" time when the beef continues to cook.

I think having a "angry" time and letting it all out every week or every month would be therapeutic.. Just a day or an hour when you can scream and let it all out.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Wishing you a Happy New Year as well. Sounds like it will be a rebuilding year for you in many ways and that you're up for the challenges. Connie

AnnieO said...

That is a beautiful photo of your magnificent roast--glad it turned out well.

The house plans are exciting indeed. Gasped at the $100,000 garage but I guess that's a normal number to some people (like the contractor!)

Sounds like your life's adjustments are getting a little bit less painful, exhausting and overwhelming. I wish more of the same for you in the new year.

Libby said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are finding the way to live your new life. I know it will be fun for me to follow along in your remodeling adventures . . . . remember to keep an open mind and a sense of humor *s*
All the best to you and yours in the New Year!