Thursday, March 15, 2007

lizards and Dinos and bears, Oh MY!














I'm all about the borders today. We are also having problems with the Internet server or something geeky like that so I don't know how long I'll be able to chat with y'all(Hi JaneAnn)

I've also decided to donate the appliqued hearts top that has been languishing in the aforementioned CLOSET which is swiftly becoming shameless. It's a rainy day here so I won't miss the spring-like outings I've been taking.

This top, along with a number of others, was made as a learning experience and, like the other one, made during the height of menopausal mania. I needed something to do while I took care of my friend's children. She spent most days at the hospital with her husband who needed a kidney transplant and was very ill. He died not long after and every time I look at this I think of those sad days. She re-married a couple of years later to a shockingly horrid man who would have made her late husband angry just thinking about him. I'm not good at hiding my feelings about this type of thing and our friendship sort of came to a sad end. It's better that this top goes toward something good-thus removing the icky vibes every time I see it. It's going to the lovely Deb G. who performed miracles last time and I know it will be re-incarnated into something cheerful.
My husband went to physical therapy for his arm and we are hoping it will help. I was so wiped out last night I took a Benadryl and lapsed into a coma until this morning. Yay to sleeping through the night-Woohoo
I would like to thank the Academy...Oh, wrong speech-paper shuffling.......Thanks to you great ladies who left comments yesterday. Mel made me think about Hugh Grant as the lead in A Good Year. That could have worked-he kind of played that type in Bridget Jones Diary. I find it difficult to think of British actors without imagining Colin Firth in everything just so I can sigh....sigh. It made me laugh that Jeri uses the Feh. Feh is a term that gets thrown off the tongue like a spit but nicer. It's one of those Yiddish phrases that I learned at the feet of my Jewish co-workers in retailing. It has many purposes. Feh can mean whatever, with attitude and annoyance. I used it because when they sweep the beach they take away all the beachy stuff-shells, wood bits and my personal fav-beach glass.
A couple of years ago my friend and I were on the way to the Mall for a dress she needed for a wedding. As I was discussing a particularly unflattering style, I referred to it as a schmata, or Yiddish for rag. I thought she was going to loose control of the vehicle. She, a life-long New Yorker, never heard the word schmata before and thought it was the funniest word and best sounding description- now my waspy friend throws schmata into the conversation like she's been using it all her life. Great influence I am huh?Perfectly pleasant librarian type liberally sprinkling the Yiddish. I did have to explain that putz was a word she was using incorrectly. I don't remember what she thought it meant but it means men's manly bits(say that 3 times fast) and that's not the message she was looking to send. One must be careful of the correct usage when swearing in dialects(hee)
Hope you come back tomorrow for more fun with Dee. I need some caffeine...

6 comments:

Angie said...

Love your Dino quilt AND the hearts quilt. :D

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh with the Yiddish. I know that I am very prone to misusing these words, but I love them! Have a great day!!

Paula, the quilter said...

And I learned something new today! Thanks for the Yiddish lesson.

Debra Dixon said...

I love seeing these quilts at different blog studios! You can sew the entire binding on by machine (yaknow!) since these quilts are meant to be used and abused.

The hearts quilt will be transformed--I know it!

Jen said...

Lovely quilt you showed before, and the heart quilt deserves a new vibe for sure. Sad about how some of our friends' lives go due to an unworthy man.
Machine binding works great for those cute kids' quilts!
Oh, btw, I have another nice package from you just waiting for me to open it. Another book to savor! Thanks! Jen

Jen said...

Oh, and Dee, no more caffeine. It will just make you meshugeneh :) Jen