Friday, September 28, 2007

what I did on my vacation, by Dee


























We had a wonderful and relaxing time in Maine. Since it was just the two of us, we sort of did a little this-n-that. Our first stop was Kennebunkport, where I make my annual pilgrimage to the Bush estate at Walker's Point and drive by while giving my particular type of salute followed by a gesture that I can only describe as a very NY expression-feh. You sort of spit it out the side of your mouth like a curse, as in "a curse on all your camels." You're welcome, my pleasure.

After that we had lobster-bisque, roll, etc....everywhere. I varied the menu only once with a nice fried clam dinner at Brown's Wharf in Booth Bay Harbor. We stayed at the Bluenose Inn in Bar Harbor and my honey sprung for the Daddy Bigbucks Suite. Fabulous view of Frenchman's Bay with a balcony to observe it and lovely people waiting on your every need. Very nice. I could get used to that.

We are pretty sure that we will not return to Maine for a while now. Originally we thought the kid was coming with us and so since he had not been there it would be fun showing him all the stuff. When he decided to hang out with the girlfriend(imagine the nerve)we probably should have gone elsewhere but it was too late to organize any major changes in itinerary and we do enjoy it. I did the Quilt shop stops and got a few things which I will show when I get a chance. I'm still trying to catch up with all the laundry and shopping and general crap.

The picture above is of the Penobscot Bridge in Ellsworth that takes you to Mt. Desert Island and Bar Harbor. For years we crossed the old Waldo-Hancock bridge that looked like it was built around the Civil War. Not a comforting thing to cross. This shiny new bridge is now open and I have to say it's pretty impressive but it also freaked me out crossing it-being a bridge and all. It's very tall and a strange thing to cross with all the cables next to you as you cross. Just sort of disconcerting and narrow lanes.

Anyway, I wanted to share this, for those of you looking for a good read and those who enjoyed "A Thousand Splendid Suns" -this book is a great read. It's a very fascinating study in the cultural class system in India and the effect it has on two women from very different classes. It's also a wonderful story about how money and position are perceived to make a person a better human being and the all too often reality of that concept.
It's late now and I have to get dinner, even though I should probably be fasting for several months after all the good food so recently consumed. I'll get around to some more pictures and another couple of book reviews soon. Missed you all and I'm enjoying seeing what you've been up to.

5 comments:

Dorothy said...

Gosh I'm glad you didn't let us know you were paying the 1st family a visit, we'd have had you driving up and down the road in front offering up so many personalized greetings the secret service would have offered you a ride. Somewhere.

Thnaks for the thumbs up on "A Thousand Splendid Suns." It's two down I think in my guilt, er, *reading* pile.

New England misses you already. It's cool and drippy today - I'm sure because you've gone.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Dorothy's thoughts exactly. If I'd known you were droppin' by, I would have sent a message of my own to the Bushes.

More, please. That is, more about your trip and more pictures too. (I never said I was easy to please.) I missed you too!

Anonymous said...

I, of course, know that this is a favorite part of your Maine trips - the drive-by of the Bush compound, that is. The lobster and scenery is all secondary!!!

Rian said...

Love Maine. Love Lobster. That bridge is rather freaky. Too skinny.

Janet said...

Sorry it's taken me soooo long to get over here. The photos are gorgeous....I've never been to Maine but now I have a little taste of what it's like. All the lobster sounds like heaven as well as your Daddy Bigbucks room!!

I'll add that book to my ever-growing list of books to read. It sounds like one I'd enjoy.

Thanks for going by the Bush compound....wish I could have been there, too. I'd love to "salute" him!!!!