Friday, December 28, 2007

Loot Baby, Loot!





I hope you all had as wonderful a Christmas as I did. As usual, my very generous family came through with great things to entertain through the dark, depressing, days of winter. A couple of months ago Roger got a dvd thingy(tech term) so I could watch movies in the kitchen on the computer. I sew at our kitchen table and so watching something other than daytime tv is a mental health necessity here. Being a movie buff, I love the old ones best and so they gifted me several oldies that are favorites of mine. There used to be a great old movie station on tv but some idiot, in all his wisdom, decided that the station needed re-vamping and now you can see the same 12 movies, all day. for days at a time-cause I'm sure that's what the public wants...NOT! Anyway, in that station shake-up they fell prey to Ted Turner who bought up nearly all the great old classics and made himself a cable channel for them. I was bereft. Since we are already paying an arm and a leg for cable and Internet, we will not be subscribing to premium cable where all my favs are currently residing. My BIL Bob got us a flat/wide screen for the computer so now I can watch them at my leisure....Whoop whoop! I asked for the Preston Sturges film collection because it contains 2 of my all-time favs. "The Lady Eve", with Barbara Stanwick, & "Palm Beach Story" with Claudette Colbert as well as "Sullivan's Travels" & "Baby Face" two of the great feel-good movies of all time. Roger also got me a copy of "Bell, Book, & Candle", a big favorite as well. Yesterday I was at Buckbuster(heh) and found a couple of other movies that had been suggested to me by a friend. I am set for a while-let the sewing begin. To finish off a perfect holiday, my thoughtful husband got me a bright red cashmere scarf that is so soft I never want to take it off and Borders gift cards- I am truly blessed.

On the dark side-my house looks like it has been ransacked. There is not a square inch of space that doesn't have something on it. BIL Bob got us a big screen tv that takes up a huge portion of the living room. We haven't figured out where to put the old one yet so it's sitting next to the new. The picture on the new one is amazing though. In any case I must go and try to wade through all the stuff and, frankly I'm ready to clear the decks. Yar!

I thank all you lovely people who stopped by to visit and sent nice wishes. We are going our for dinner with several friends to the annual New Years dinner-very yummy Italian.That will about wrap up the social stuff for a while and I'm sure the weather will turn to typical January temps soon. Right now it's like spring outside but I know it's just the calm before the literal storm. I'm looking forward to getting back to sewing, Curves, and peaceful days-talk to you soon.

4 comments:

Rose said...

Oh, good, you had a wonderful Christmas then! I love western movies and yet no one ever gifts me with any of them. I did get a double CD set of Johnny Cash music though so it's all good! Have a Happy New Year!

Paula, the quilter said...

Bell, Book and Candle is a favorite of mine. My first cat, when I was in my teens (mom was allergic), was named Pywackett. Daddy could never remember her name and called her High Pockets. Thanks for the memory.

Anonymous said...

You scored indeed! I love old movies and indies too. You will enjoy "Bread and Tulips" if you haven't already. Sounds like a lovely holiday.

Gerrie said...

Enjoy your old movies. I love the old musicals. I wish you many blessings in the new year.