Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hangin' in the ER with my Honey.


Here's a picture of the newly renovated Huntington Hospital. We had made it our business not to go there for any reason for a very long time. The other night Roger got strange fluttering heartbeats and racing pulse so I took him to the ER. Unfortunately we picked a night when they were so over-loaded with patients that we wound up at the front desk. Roger on a gurney and me waiting. They did put him right into the action since cardiac patients are triaged first. Got him hooked up to various machines and turned out he had A-fib. That's where his arterial chambers were not firing in sync with the others. We got there around 8 Sunday night and I finally saw him stabilized and left for home at about 4 am. It was a long evening and the hospital was so full that he wound up in the ER room where I picked him up in the a.m. after a visit from his cardiologist. He was most happy to see me. Among the other visitors to the ER while we were there was a screaming 17-year-old crack addict who called the nurses really vulgar names and had to be restrained by several of Suffolk Counties finest. It was quite the night.
Good news is that we were out of there by 11 the next morning and now Roger has to go for a nuclear stress test tomorrow morning. Other than that he feels good and it was not a heart attack-best news ever. Apparently this has more to do with a racing pulse and he is now being medicated for that.
It's so very interesting how we take each other for granted sometimes-until something like this happens. He's a wonderful husband and father but also the best friend I've ever had. I never knew the meaning of true friendship until I married Roger. He is devoted and loving and always on my side. That's a gift greater than words can express. I am thankful for him every moment of every day and ashamed that sometimes I forget to appreciate how very much he means to me.
Anyway, all is well and that's what I've been up to. Hope you have had a few peaceful days with no medical interruptions. I'll be back soon to chat.

11 comments:

Terry Grant said...

How scary. Big "Whew!" Glad it was not worse. I hope the tests reveal nothing worse. Some of us are so lucky (and I do think it is just dumb luck!) to be married to our best friends. Your sweet words may prompt me to show a little gratitude for my terrific husband as well.

Deb Geyer said...

Glad he's OK!!

astromei said...

thinking of you, dear, i am glad everything went ok. it is easy to take things for granted, isn't it funny how we always focus on negative and totally ignore the good? i'm glad you are married to your best friend - it really is a rare blessing. hugs!

Cindra said...

That's what Stretch had. Your honey is luckier because he evidently got it back in rhythm by himself. Stretch made a second trip a couple of weeks later. He is on a blood thinner until he is totally regulated... he has another stress test the end of this month and we are hoping that will do it. Tell Roger to take his blood pressure medicine just like they tell him and he should be fine. Keep me posted.

Anonymous said...

Whew! Dodged a bullet! Waytago Roger, glad you're doing okay.

It is scary to go through this. I think I'd rather be the patient. Glad it turned out alright.

Janet said...

That's not the way you'd like to spend an evening together but I'm glad it all ended up ok.

I'm on a blogging break but had to check in and see how you were doing. I'm so glad I did. I'll keep you both in my thoughts.

Kay said...

Oh, how scary--as you say, we take people for granted sometimes. So glad he's ok.

Finn said...

What a scary situation Dee! I'm stunned by all that can happen so quickly.
I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Big hugs, Finn

Gerrie said...

Egads - I take a break from blog reading and then check in and find this. So glad it is turning out ok. I am married to my best friend, too, so I know how you are feeling. Some prayers and good thoughts are coming your way.

Mary Johnson said...

Hope he's doing OK. My Mom is visiting and had a episode of A Fib last night - she's been dealing with it for years but it seems to really wipe her out these days. I'm still trying to get my *arrhythmia* diagnosed - hopefully they'll figure out what it is soon.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your BFF (kid-speak for Best Friend Forever!) is okay. But I can't help wondering if this post is related to your Green Mountain Coffee post???