Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Badness of Dee





Here's part of what I've been up to these past days. This was a Quiltathon weekend so I dug into the goody box I received and challenged myself to use nothing but color. No background beige or white. Where I would have run into a problem is that the fabrics I received are all in pieces and, perfect for a relatively small paper pieced project, but not enough for a border or any plain blocks. So...I did the only thing left to me to solve the problem...snif snif...I had to call the Fat Quarter Shop and order a jelly roll of American Jane fabric....soooobbbbbb. I reconciled my badness by telling myself that I was helping to boost the economy...yep, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Anyway. I printed the pattern off my Carol Doak cd and in it's original form it's a square block. I removed the "keep proportions" option and made it into a diamond in a square. Fun.

Aside from that, I made the mistake of getting the second season of "The Tudors" so pfffft, there goes the week. No, seriously, I had to go for my mammogram and some other stuff got added in there as well. Maybe it's spring, I don't know, but I'm in a very Scarlett O'Hara mode right now that has me unable to focus much. I was glad I started the paper piecing since it made me focus on that at least. With spring, comes the sunshine and suddenly everything in the house looks shabby and in desperate need of painting and fixing. That's probably where Scarlett snuck in. It's just too big to contemplate-I'll think about that tomorrow. I wonder if I could get Melody & Dave to come up for a visit and bring paint, ladders and tools?? Hmmmm...only if I could convince them here's a meeting of the Botanical Society at my house. Now that's funny!

Enjoy the day. Back soon.

7 comments:

Gerrie said...

I could send Mr C. He loves to paint, but wait, he isn't finished with my studio, yet. Love the diamond block and the COLOR. I'm not feeling spring yet. Maybe next week!!

Cindra said...

I love your squares! Somehow your sobs do not sound too guilty to me. A little insincere. In fact I would be willing to guess you have been waiting for some sort of flimsy excuse to buy that jelly roll. Of course that could just be the Green God of Jealousy talking.... I heart American Jane and have been watching said website for a sign of a sale on that fabric. Love the results.

Darcie said...

Oooh! Love the diamonds in the squares! And I also love the absence of background fabrics. Fun!

Enjoy your jelly rolls! ;-)

Debra Dixon said...

Now that is clever to ignore the "keep proportions" and just go with what turns up--I would have been so "in the box" on that idea. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

The colors in your blocks are great. Melody (and Dave) would be proud.

Eleanor said...

I love your coloured fabrics. I have a little extra time over Easter and am longing to cut out another quilt. Your page has inspired me. And as for ordering another jelly roll, well, I can never resist the temptation when I am in a quilt shop. Out comes the good old credit card and my stash has some new additions.

Melody Johnson said...

NO BEIGE. Hurray!!! I'll be right over...o wait. It was Dave that painted everything here. I was quilting. Back to that today. And no beige for me either.