Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pinwheels and such



Here's a shot of the pinwheel factory that's going full speed right now. One baby quilt coming up!

Also, based on Kay's comment I went searching for the book I mentioned in yesterdays post. Many years ago now I read "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon and loved it so much. Being a history buff I can't imagine how much fun it must be to just go and explore. Of course that book was written back in the early 80s I think. Maybe times aren't as friendly or safe now. Not sure. Anyway, I read his other book, of which I mentioned the fault line and earthquake in the Chicago area and that smart cookie Kay left me a comment that made me go looking for it since I couldn't quite remember the title. I remember much of the book(it's a huge one) but for some reason(age) I couldn't remember it was called "Prairy Erth" It's a lot of book but Mr. Moon is a scholar and a lover of history. He goes into some major detail about what is basically the center of the continental US and it's origins and topography and history. I know it's not for everyone but I sure love a well-detailed history book.

I took a lot of pictures of the snow. There's a whole boatload of it and thanks to James and the trusty snow blower a lot of it is cleared away so we can get out. The weather is such a boring subject that I just decided to skip the pics. It snowed-12-14 inches-it's cold and yuck. Nuf said.
I'm distracting myself with the sewing and praying for a really early spring. If I get my hands on that groundhog he's toast. This is about the time of year when we look at each other and ask why the hell we insist on living here. Right now I can't think of a good reason but I'll get back to you later.

I'm still having problems with my right knee. Don't like that one bit. Both my good friends have knee problems and one just had surgery on hers recently. I'm not a good patient-Hate things I have no control over and apparently this is one of those things. It goes away for a few days and then pops back up again...grrrr. Not fun. Something I will probably have to address medically in the all too near future-have I mentioned my distaste for Drs lately? Surgeons are worse. You can almost see them twirling their little mustaches while telling you that they must do surgery....grrrrrrr.

Well, I'm going to the kitchen and cooking some Chicken Parm and a nice salad for my guys. They worked hard today. Hope it's a lot warmer where you are and a lot less white.

8 comments:

judy said...

Why we live here: because, although we don't get there as often as we say we would like to, we live a little over an hour away from one of the greatest cities in the world; because of the wonderful restaurants in our area; because we have a terrific library with wonderful librarians; because we are 2 minutes from the beach and a half hour from world-class beaches; because our village is a delight; because although winter sucks, the other 3 seasons are, for the most part, glorious, and therefore, so are our gardens.
Thanks for making me think about this, because as I was shoveling today I too was saying "Why?"

dee said...

thanks Judy, I needed that.

Libby said...

Snow - still a bit of a mystery to me. I thought it would snow and everything would stay beautiful, pristine and white. HA! Currier and Ives are big, fat liars - snow is quickly dirty, clumpy and patchy. They should tell you that up front *s*

Rian said...

I too read "Blue Highways" way back when and it still resonates with me today. I have not given up on the dream to take a driving trip across the US to search for blues and barbecues and I still rate roadhouse restaurants by the number of calenders they have on their wall.

Hope your knee gets better on its own. I am fortunate to have good knees, but every other damn joint hurts. Get a brace if you don't have one already. Drug store.

Janet said...

I hope you're doing ok in all that snow! My daughter (in DE) said it was pretty bad. Take care of that knee....I'm not a very good patient either.

Barbara C said...

Your pinwheel blocks are fab: lavender and green is one of my favorite color combinations.

Take care of yourself. Maybe it's the winter that makes us all so achey. Oh yeah, and the years too.

Kay said...

My knees hurt too! Just started last week. Let's hope it's the weather, because it's cold and white here for sure.

Beautiful pinwheels!

I've never read WLHMoon's books. Funny, because he lived in my hometown for years. Enjoy.

Chimney Cleaning Baldwin Park said...

Awesome blog you have heree