Thursday, May 24, 2007

Family love



Tomorrow is my husband's birthday. It is the beginning of another year that I hope will be a more healthy one for him and a happy one for us together. He's a wonderful man, husband, father, and most especially, friend. I can't think of anyone I would rather go to when there is something important to say or...just nothin' much. Just chatting away a morning over scrambled eggs and coffee.

Without his faith and help I'm not sure what would have become of my life. When we began, I was troubled and unsure of anything, mostly myself. He has protected me, showed me what true love is and given me the first safe place to dwell in my life. We are two connected souls.

If anything makes us different it is that he is the orderly yin to my chaotic yang. Further proof of his good soul is that he doesn't care about this. Now and again, we get a snow shovel (hey! not a bad idea) and some sort of minor order comes into our lives for a brief time. His measure of what is important in our lives is "does it make you happy?" He is the firm hand that gently pushed me into a good place. I wish there was a way I could do the same for him. His only fault is an streak of Irish stubborn a mile wide-but only when it comes to himself.

I cannot imagine how empty my life would be without him and my birthday wish for him, to that end, is that he would start taking better care of himself.

May you have many more birthdays and much more love. I read a biography of a famous artist. She said that everyday she would end by lying down and saying quietly in prayer, "thank you for my life" Nothing sums up my feelings more than that simple graceful sentence. I think it was Frida and I know it was a long time ago. Everynight since, that is the last thing I say after goodnight-Gracias por mi vida.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Roger! Good to hear your cheery virtual voice again.

I am feeling guilty every time you mention Curves. I am such a slug.

Anonymous said...

I don't know who's luckier--you for having Roger, or Roger for having such an appreciative wife. Either way, I think it's a lot more than luck.

Rian said...

How sweet. He must be quite a guy. He's a lucky guy to have such an adoring wife. Isn't it great that you can be joined at the hip with someone for 20 some years and never run out of things to talk about?

Finn said...

Hi Dee, just popping in to see how things are going for you..*VBS* Sounds like a very busy time!! My best, altho belated, wishes for your super-guy..*S* He does sound wonderful and I'm sure you know you are blessed indeed.
Love the calla lilies pictures, never seen them in pink..just gorgeous. Life will settle down again, keep the faith. Hugs, Finn