Monday, April 23, 2007

the gardener was here-quilty purses & little beasties














Here are some purses I made with Japanese fabric and a small piece of Kaffe Fassett. I'm deciding what I want to do with these-they are too big to group together for the 12x12 piece so I may make some more and just make a random wallhanging of purse prettiness. Lord knows I need some girly stuff around here. I really need to get much more familiar with my machine and all the stitches I can do. The handles came out kinda crappy. I may applique some handles on over what's there.
Just call me Lady Chatterley(heh heh)My own sweet gardener was out & about with lots of Pansie prettiness-actually I think these are viola but I'm calling them my pansies and that's that. Roger came home from a Friday trip to Lowes with a trunk full of these babies and a truckload of thistle seed for the goldfinches. They are happily twittering outside the window. I can report that we have gone directly from the first few days of warmish spring to full-on summer. It is currently 78 degrees. Not complaining but could we work up to it a week or two at a time?? Tomorrow is my first day at Curves-pray for me. Today I went to Target to get some exercise pants and tees. I hope this old creaking body doesn't just give out. On Saturday I didn't measure how far I walked on the treadmill but instead measured if I could exercise for 30 min. straight. I made it to 33-yay.

I may have mentioned before that I love to feed the squirrels and chipmunks in my yard. This is great fun but I pay for it this time of year and here's how. Saturday-Roger planted the flowers and by this morning the squirrels had dug up the entire plant plugs and laid them neatly on the dirt. Who says they aren't funny? I came home and there they were-pansies-sideways in neat little piles-not eaten or disturbed in any way. Just lying on there little colorful sides. As I was backing up to the house to empty the car I saw in the rear-view mirror bushy tails ducking under the porch slats. Wise guys! I think they're pissed because all winter long they sunned themselves in the empty flower boxes onthe railing and when Roger put the flowers in he put a moth ball under the dirt at each corner cause they really don't like mothballs(who does) And so...it is war.

One last thing before I go for a walk. Rian asked about the sweet potatoes. They are like having candy for dinner. All you do is get yourself some good olive oil-brush the halved potatoes with it and sprinkle cinnamon very lightly and salt-grill cut side down for 15 min. and turn over for another 10. when they are done you can see the potato bubble a bit. Get a plate and fork and have dessert for dinner. With the plain Yukon Gold potatoes or red bliss-I mix a little Lawry's salt with the olive oil and grill the same way. Heavenly.

I'll be back with updates on my pain tomorrow-wish me luck
This is not my picture but it was so pretty that I blatantly swiped it from Google-I hope they don't arrest me....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh goody. And I bought a sweet potato today.

Rian

Anonymous said...

Yummmm! I have never grilled them this way, but I do roast them in the oven at least once a week. I LOVE sweet potatoes/yams.

Shake your booty and have a good day!!

Melody Johnson said...

I am with you on the exercise. I am walking with Dave and riding bikes and will be roller blading by the end of the week. I must say, I sat around all winter and one can surely tell as I try and squeeze into my biggest jeans. ick.
And I have not had a drop of wine in a week. God save me!

Debra Dixon said...

I hate "practicing" with the sewing machine so am trying to think of anything I can that will eventually become a finished project while I learn my new emb machine. Who has time to sit around and make practice samples??